Saturday, June 25, 2005

Being different

"I may not be better than other people, but at least I'm different."[Jean Jacques Rousseau]

Being different is important to me.

Maybe so important, that I tend to stick by certain ideals of mine more strongly.

Just as it was strange to people why I would leave a good and promising academic life to go do something that most people don't know what it is..... it might be strange now to you, why I don't want to join an almost ready-made band but would rather have my band to grow with and learn with.

I mean, tell people theatre and they think... hmm, only crazy people do that.
Tell people sociology and they think.. oh!! social work?
Tell them audio engineering and they think... err? engineering ah, build things one?

In fact, I do like breaking into 'colder' or rather less popular domains.

When I did theatre, I totally freaked out during my first monologue... the greatest ultimtae disaster. Why? simply because I had always been an extreme introvert who never dared to let loose and express myself freely.

I remember going to work at the airport. Before that, I swore never to do any customer service work, because I was so afraid of dealing with and talking to unfamiliar people (I warm up slowly with people). But I stepped in there... into a job that was only done by guys all that while. Yup, I was the only girl and it was really amusing replying to calls on the walkie talkie... and the other staff would feel as though I was replying to the wrong person (coz they had expected a male voice in return).

I guess, I just get an adrenalin rush out of doing weird things. Although I'm scared the hell out of doing things I'm afraid of.

Probably, I'm just weird. Or maybe, its just natural to be afraid.

Then, I went to do my audio course.. which took me to a class full of guys too and faced with technicalities that I would shy away from last time, as well as cables, equipment that I never even knew of in my whole life.

Remember I had a blog entry previously that said how much I feared making phonecalls? Yeah, I have curbed it after the past months in doing sales and promotion for the studio. But one thing I'll never do though, is to constantly repeatedly bug people to ask them if they're still interested employing our services... coz its far too pesky even for my own liking.

I'm not writing all these to show off or anything, but to act as a reminder to myself that I can be different if I want to, and to fear is only part of the whole experience.

And right now, back to the band issue. Yup, I like the feeling that you girls give me (don't get me wrong, I have no lesbian tendencies hahaha)... I like the idea of us girls striking out in a domain mainly dominated by guys.

Just a couple of weeks back I told my mum, I don't envy those who have found a stable job right after graduation. Well, maybe my dad does and he certainly hope I do so too. But I kinda like the way my life has gone, the scenery I have seen and events I have experienced along this journey.
I can only hope for better and more interesting scenery as time goes on.

It doesn't matter how the rest of the world sees us, its this moment now that matters.. this moment that we want everything about the band to work that matters. Its proving people around us that we can do it that counts.

Jamming once may not mean that we are a band, we need not be the best.. but remember, at least we are different.

Lets work hard girls! We gotta believe in one another and especially ourselves. I have confidence in us. Lets just remember our one year target ^_^.. so we have alot of practicing to do.

Go practice! don't read anymore! =P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home