Sunday, October 16, 2005

Is this what they call love?

Ever realised that at different stages of your life, your parents will never fail to have something to nag at you for?

Well, in the first place, we see it as nagging simply because it becomes a little overwhelming as it gets repeated a little too often at times. We perceive it as nagging because we don't like to be controlled and told what to do, but they perceive it as caring for us and our future.

Parents' love?

As much as we all hate it, but who can say that when its our turn to become parents, we wouldn't turn out the same?

Typical singaporean parents.. that's my dad. very driven by results and 'ai mian zi'. my decision to quit honors must have thrown his face so terribly in front of his colleagues, that he had to emphasize everyday then how his friends would feel its a waste and I'm so silly to make that decision.

My primary school days, spending nights with my dad sitting beside me poking at my head when I make mistakes. My university days, my dad doubting whether I even study just because I spend their sleeping hours studying, and their waking hours sleeping.

mum, she's more understanding and more supportive but sometimes she gives up to my dad's nagging, so in return, she echoes him once in a while.

I'm not that bad a kid, I work hard, I study hard, so why do I still get nagged at?

When I'm studying, they bug me all the time about my sch work, whether I'm studying hard enough. But I'm just sorry to say that this time their nagging only forced me to come to the decision I had.

If I was given more room to breathe and more trust, I wouldn't have come to that decision. I just needed a few more days, but to exchange for those few days would have brought me loads of incessive nagging. So it led me to believe that to give up, was the best solution to ease myself.

But whatever it is, I'm moving on.

Goodbye to the months of coming home with no hi but questions like "have you finished your thesis?", "you chose this course but you don't want to finish it" (well, you said it, not me)
Goodbye to mornings before leaving for work and being asked "why are you going to work? your thesis don't need to do?"

And now, my new stage of life is finally working permanently.
And so.. here comes a new thing to nag about. How much have I saved? (get this, after 3 mths of internship, I only got my first full pay last mth.. and its already not much)
Also, I am told I should give them some money, because its 'respect' or hand my mum money to save on my behalf.

How do I tell them everything? I wish I had more money too.

I guess, this will be the new topic in my life for now.
Coming home and being asked, "have you got your pay? how much have you saved?"

If only my bro will come back =P
Then they will be distracted and be less bothered about my life.

So, I don't even really tell them about my band. They don't even know about my performances.
I want to get somewhere before I show and prove to them, that there are alot of things in life that are more important and they should just learn to trust me more.

Mum, Dad, sorry that your daughter turned out so different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home