Monday, April 25, 2005

The past and the present

Reading jac's blog made me think about the choices I've made in the past. In answer to your blog... I've sometimes wanted to go back to the past too, but its really more to relive the most beautiful memories again.. rather than to really change anything about myself.

After leaving my honors program to go in search of something else.. something that at that time I really didn't know what it was when I gave up the possibility of a shiny new honors degree that others didn't even have the opportunity to try for.

That period was tough, trying to convince my parents, especially my mum. I mean, I've been too much of a good kid all along, studious and always carrying good grades home. Of course I got my material rewards.. but inside, I was hungry for a different sort of development in my life. Which was why, my sudden announcement to quit honors... was quite a terrible blow to my parents (didn't help that my cousin who was also in nus didn't get offerred to do honors).

Well, the point is... I pushed myself all the way through with assignments and exams until the last exam when my father finally gave in. And yup, I almost did complete half of that honors program except for the one paper where I simply didn't turn up to take... the feeling was great, you'll have to believe me for this one hahah.

I felt set free, after all the months of wondering and thinking and talking to my parents, as well as my all so supportive friends. But at the same time, I began to think... what next?

It was probably fate that led me to study the course that I would do next..

That didn't come easy as well, I was met with another hurdle.. having to resign from the job that I took up after leaving nus. I had to fulfill the one mth resignation notice period but then lessons were already starting. That led me to miss 2 weeks of classes but I managed to catch up eventually.

Throughout that period, and even now, many have asked me if I ever regretted my choice. I can only say, no. It was a choice I would never have regretted... otherwise I wouldn't have learnt and seen so much.. nor met so many people I would never have met in a conventional Singaporean's educational and career path.

I can't say for sure if this was the best choice I could have made in my life, but at least I never regretted the experiences I had in the past 2 years...

And, I never felt that my half a year in honors was a waste of time either, because it opened my eyes.. to step out of convention, to step out of what I always believed the right path should be, to step out of walking in a straight line...

And so, I thank my professor for telling me (I hope he doesn't come read this blog entry though! haha)... "if you feel that you've got something better out there to do [outside of class], then go do it!". At that time, my friend next to me, gave me a nudge in the arm.... and yup, from that moment I knew it. I would go do that 'something' that is meant for me to do all my life.

4 Comments:

At 7:48 am , Blogger Andrea Ng said...

Hey~~ You from NUS?? what course? Din noe before this...
hmm... I understand your feelings man... Actually I kind of get into NUS for my family's sake. I know its my Mum n Dad's hope to have a graduate in the family.
Hope you will continue to search for the path you truly want!

 
At 8:12 am , Blogger Noritaka said...

Same case here,sort of... Had thot all along tt teaching life was wat I'd wanted,then thinking back during NIE days,it's due in large part to parents' expectations (pri-sec-jc-uni-teaching) which were in fact laid out since i ever mentioned wanting to be a tchr in my pri sch days... So i went thru the NIE course dutifully,completed my "obligations" until the time I couldn't take it any longer... & breaking free was indeed a tough decision to make when EVRYBODY kept saying "teaching's an iron ricebowl,u know?wat u gonna do without it?",blah blah blah...
But it definitely felt nice when I finally let go.... Also nvr regretted it :)

 
At 9:50 am , Blogger Florence said...

yupp.. been taking the usual route all the way.. until i just decided it wasn't really what i wanted anymore. but at least i gave my parents wat they wanted.. a degree, a chance to attend my graduation.. b4 giving them the greatest shock of their lives hahah.

i think we shd all go in search of what we really want in life, once we have the chance to. there will be less regret in that.. that not even trying :)

 
At 2:08 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i resigned from my civil service job , people also said the same thing to me...everybody wanna get into civil service but u wanted out and it is like a iron rice bowl...but resigning from there gives me a great feeling. i wld rather be a temp worker than to work there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home