Sunday, March 05, 2006

birthday dinner

Today was my grand aunt's 80th birthday. Such an important day.. that I thought it was only right of me to attend it with my parents. So i blocked out the evening today specially for this.

As we stepped into the restaurant, I saw my relatives, greeted my grandaunt, grandma and relatives before I settled down in a seat, to 'park' there, as I usually do when I attend any dinners. I'm not much of a social butterfly.. so I stick to my seat alot.

From my seat, I surveyed the area, turning my head left and right to see who was seated where.. and it began to feel weird.

Firstly.. I realised that my direct cousins were all not there. Only all my distant cousins.. I mean of course it made sense because they are my grandaunt's grandchildren. But at that point, I did feel a little cheated and odd that everyone else there from my family were my elders.

Then I realised too that I was sort of 'underdressed'.. because everyone else was 'overdressed'? Sort of like what you'll see at a wedding dinner. But then again, if I were to attend a wedding dinner, I'll probably still dress the same way hahaha. Anyway, my parents weren't very dressed up either and since we were not in direct relation to my grandaunt, I think it didn't really matter...

An hour went by before another of my grandaunt arrived, so that we could start the dinner. Boy was I hungry.. because I hadn't had breakfast nor lunch the entire day. And so... the 10 course dinner began, with me once again boycotting the sharksfin soup (why can't people not have this during dinners!) and skipping the yam stuff.

The food wasn't too bad, although it wasn't the best. Filled me just enough, although I could have more. heheh...

At the end of the dinner, there was the 'customary' cake cutting, birthday song singing and photo taking. And soon, I headed outside of the restaurant where my parents had already taken refuge because the restaurant was simply too small for that many people. That was where I was giving out and exchanging name cards hehe.

Well, nothing exciting, except for seeing my dad's face and body turn red from drinking too much red wine.. and everyday telling him that he can't really drink haha. Found out too that one of my older cousins will be getting married in May, but not on my brithday hehe.

Even though I didn't really want to be there, it was a good feeling seeing my grandaunt happy to see me there. And that was really the least I could do... =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home