Saturday, April 30, 2005

What a girl wants?

I remember browsing through a lifestyle magazine some time ago and came across a page that read "What a girl wants" and on the next page, "What a guy wants".

On it displayed various desirable items that a girl and a guy would want as a present respectively... and its supposed to act as a 'guide' of some sort to friends or potential suitors (either gender, either way.. i think i don't have to elaborate that much ;))

On the girl's want list include dainty quainty shoes and small handbags as well as dresses.
On the guy's want list, on the other hand, include sports gear and sunglasses.

At that moment, I really tried hard to imagine if I would ever put those items on my want list.. since I am a girl, as defined by biology, by my parents who didn't dress me up as a boy when I was an infant and would buy dolls for me instead of toy guns and toy cars and... also by the larger society.

Nope, I thought. Dress me up like that and I'll probably look like Godzilla cross-dressed :P. Most importantly, I think I'll feel totally not at ease. I do like my trusty jeans and sneakers just fine.

But does it make me any less of a 'female'? At least I don't think so... but maybe the creators of that lifestyle magazine might think so.

What is femininity anyway?
Is it determined by how you dress?
Is it determined by your aura and the way you carry yourself?
Then why are people who fight for women's rights called 'feminists'?
Does it make them more 'feminine' than all other women?
Is the word 'feminine' positive or negative then if 'feminist' carries a bad connotation to it?

Well, I have no direct answer to this either.

All I know is, if I were to wear skirts or dresses and heels to school then climb under the console desk or move all around to set up or keep equipment, it will only 'pian yi' the guys there (not as if there's anything good to see hahahah though).

I won't call it femininity, but stupidity instead.

In case anyone's wondering if I'm a feminist.. maybe I am? I never really thought of it.
And I'm not condemning femininity in this blog entry either but I believe that there are times and places to be feminine and other times and places to not be.

We don't necessarily have to conform to the rules made up by conventional society. So long as we feel comfortable the way we are and being who we are, that's how we should be.

To the writers of that article in the lifestyle magazine, I just have to say.. you should break out of gender stereotypes because not all the women of this age are not just hankering after dainty stuff nor the men just striving to be macho sporty kings.

Before I end this... what's on my own want list now?

An amp and an electric guitar!! hahah ^_^ \/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home