Wednesday, April 06, 2005

New work ethics

I guess everyone is just so familiar with efficiency, having to appear hardworking at work, afraid to be late or leave too early and being totally serious about your own work duties.

At least, this has been the work culture that I have been so familiar and accustomed too.

But not here. Not this time.

Here, is a place where everyone is happily joking and laughing out loud, blasting out weird music.. even of cats singing (yup, you know, meow meow meow?) and me not really knowing what to do sometimes, coz I warm up slow to people I'm less familiar with (although i know that over time, i'll be doing the same crazy things too :P)

Well, my point is, here... I think it scares them that I'm too keen to work? I mean.. yup, first i scared them by appearing at 10plus am (a total case of broken communication! not that i wanted to wake up that early too) and so, the boss heaved a sigh of relief today when I told him i'll come in after lunch tomorrow.

and all the time, while i'm trying hard to familarize myself with the work there... eagerly looking through the computer files, I am also trying hard not to look that eager, slouching in my chair while at the same time listening to their chatter and jokes.... trying to have a good laugh myself (reminding myself not to be too hardworking!)

In case you are wondering i'm imagining this... the boss himself said b4 he went out for dinner,

"you don't have to work till too late, what time are you leaving?"
"maybe around 9plus i guess"
(yup its 9pm.. and get this, i reached there at 7plus pm.... and i haven't really done much work yet)

he comes back after dinner and i was trying to do a database of clients to mail to, then he says again,

"you can do this another day"
(eh, got it, I can't appear too hardworking in front of him.. he'll feel stressed hahah)

And so, I've suddenly been presented a whole new set of work ethics, a whole new working style. SH calls it slacking, I prefer to call it laid back.

yup, laid back sounds cool... I will learn to be more laid back from now on :D
(although its hard to be.... for a kan cheong, wanna do everything nicely and quickly person like me.... i have to unlearn what I have learnt through these years)

But hey, these people have shown me what its like to work and be happy. I think thats how things should be too.

Good riddance to office politics, good riddance to rushing for work afraid of being late, good riddance to a cranky demanding boss, good riddance to having to be quick and effective at work.

Hello, laid-backness :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home