Thursday, February 17, 2005

Post Valentine's Day

Guess everyone must be thinking that I'm gonna start blogging about how I spent my valentine's day right? Well, I am, but its not as romantic as it should sound hahah, so don't put your hopes too high up.

We did go out that day, as we usually would, but not for the purpose of celebrating vday per say.. we were out hunting for something for his father. So I waited him to get off work after I finished school, then off to City Hall we went.... the perfect location to observe the full workings of how valentine's day should be, to the common folk of this blinded world of conventions and boring trends.

I seriously didn't really remember that it was valentine's day until we reached cityhall, where flowers, balloons and girls dressed as though they were going to 'bai nian' flooded the place. And so began SH's cynical commentary. Let me quote:

"see the girls with the stupid smiles, holding the expensive flowers. then the guys looking silly-ly happy" (not in his exact words)

And of course, that very day at work, his colleague was asking him whether he got flowers for me, his answer was

"no la, she doesn't like this kind of thing, she told me not to waste money" (of course, I never told him such things before, he only imagined them so that he won't feel bad not getting me flowers hahahaha)

I mean, which girl doesn't like flowers? (I do want, you know?? haha) I just don't want any on valentine's day.. I'll feel too 'paiseh' to hold them. I'll hide them in my bag, coz I don't want to be like everyone else, carrying a sheepish smile on my face with a flower in my hand =P.

So, what did I get for valentine's day this year?? If you consider it a gift, its a $3 CD case that holds 12 CDs we got from Carrefour... from a cheap messy stack of CD cases that we dug and dug and dug and found 4 specials ones, each at $3. So exiting ya? Alternative Vday, gian peng-ing... yeah ^_^\/. Then we eavesdropped as a couple and a guy argued there, after the guy's trolley seemingly knocked into the girl's leg and refused to apologise; and pondered over whether to buy some Tom and Jerry VCDs.

Oh ya, I forgot to mention the critical Vday dinner!
We queued at Seoul Garden for a while but gave up coz too many couples were eating inside and the queue seemed to take forever to move and it appeared to cost $51 for 2 people. So we went to the new foodcourt at Marina, to get a cheaper and more wholesome meal where we paid less than $15 for japanese food and dessert, with a view of the Singapore river too! Not bad huh. Go to marina's foodcourt and you'll know what I mean... foodcourt with a great view!

Actually all these things, we would do on any normal day too. But what's special about Vday is that we can start observing other couples hahaha. Yes, our favourite past time, observing other people and making comments. These comments, I shall reserve them to ourselves =P

In SH's words, Vday is essentially "the best time to look at couples" and i would add, the best and worst of street fashion. If you didn't take the chance to do so this year, try it next year. Its really the best thing to do on vday whether you are attached or not rather than go with the stereotypical giving of roses, chocolate or jewelery and having an expensive dinner, dressed to the nines; or mope over the fact that others have a date and you don't.

Ok, before I finish off, I've gotta mention the phenomenon of roses on vday. A week before vday, roses cost a bomb, on vday roses cost a load, at the end of vday, roses are for free. I'm serious!

As we walked away from suntec that night, among a bucket of red and white roses red 'Free, please take 1". Nobody took them of course, who dared to? Typical singaporean mentality... how come can be free? Sure its not a trick? I take free roses, later throw face, no image.

Even the 2 of us who were very gian peng by nature, didn't take them haha. If you were there, would you?

Those poor roses are probably tucked away in a bin by now...

2 Comments:

At 10:23 pm , Blogger keitsu said...

shir you forgot the "les" couple.. so total is 3 couples...

actually so long as you enjoy it doesn't matter how you spend your vday lor... like maMASAn say "everyday can also be vday"...

p.s.... sh... if you need to buy flowers let me know.. my cousin got a flower shop in far east... hahah... i go help you ask got discount or not.. hiak hiak... =P

 
At 6:35 am , Blogger stupid said...

hahaha keitsu wat i say is "got $$$ everyday oso vday dun need to wait till actual vday.... hahaha

i agree with shir every year vday oso got alot of couple quarel de so tat why i dun like to celebrate vday.... hehehehe

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home