Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Its a small world after all

There I was at the cathedral of CHIJMES yesterday, as I walked into it, I didn't know I was blocking the way of the bride and groom who were preparing to walk in for a rehearsal, so I stepped aside and just watched.

I looked at the bride, nothing clicked.. then I looked again..... and realised that she was my primary school classmate and a very good friend of mine in the past. But as we grew up, our personalities differed, so I never kept much contact with her any longer. You know what I mean, its from a very close friendship turned awkward. Nothing bad happened really, its just a natural drift apart thing when friends just end up having different directions in life and different thinking processes.

Ok, back to the story. I realised she was my friend.. and I was desperately in my mind, trying to search for a sign of her name. Fiona I thought... could it be, I was unsure for so long until I saw her mother. Yes, I still recognize her mother! But the thing is, I have changed alot ever since my primary school days, from a bespectabled XXL little girl to now.

I really didn't know whether to try to talk to her and ask her if she remembered me. So all the while I just stood on the stage, rehearsing with my choir as she and her mother watched on, wondering if she actually recognized me. But she never did show a sign that she did.... and I never tried to ask her if she did. What a tragedy of friendship, I thought... I never expected that fate would bring me to sing for her wedding after we had lost contact for so many years. Whats more, she was one of those primary sch best friends whom I would always invite to my birthdays.

Its bothered me since I saw her. Should I try to go talk to her on her big day itself and congratulate her on her marriage? I wish I could find that courage, but I'm afraid that it would become an awkward situation. There.... this is just me... I always worry too much. Maybe she'll recognize another primary school friend of mine, in the same choir, who will be there on her wedding day too. Maybe then, I could outrightly congratulate her even if that once strong friendship had eventually turned us into almost complete strangers today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home