Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Singaporean Tragedy

I would really like to learn to be proud of my country sometimes, but so many times I just end up sighing and shaking my head when I look at how our whole society functions. Its a system that is really hard to break out of, given the politics scene and the whole way all Singaporeans have been socialized.

We'll like very much to think that we are middle class and civilised but just a trip on the MRT sometimes, you hear and observe things that all hopes and beliefs that we really are who we think we are, all burst like a soap bubble. Maybe I grew up in a pristine environment, in schools that are so called within the upper echelons of the education system, in conditions where I never really understood many vulgarities. Don't be surprised that till today, there are alot of vulgarities that I still don't really know what they mean. Maybe it was such a world for me, that the world I see now seems a little of a culture shock.

Why do I say this? I believe many of us have seen groups of teenagers in shopping malls or buses for example, talking out aloud, scolding vulgarities and even scolding and challenging the poor bus driver who is just doing his job. Is it the fault of our supposedly great and perfect educational system that inevitably created such a personality in our teenagers today? To tell the truth, I have no idea how the primary or secondary education is carried out these days, but something has to be wrong for this change (unless its really only perceived by me). Why can't teenagers speak with discretion or think carefully before they speak or do something?

I think it all boils down to the need for attention. Why else would a child do weird actions or talk out loud, or use vulgarities, or even make worthless comments at times? This I believe, is all in the bid for grabbing the attention of people around them, the attention that they never really seem to get at home.

They do this anywhere, even online... like here,
http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?p=11939209&posted=1#post11939209
(To my dear Mayday friends reading this, don't be chong dong hahaha)

These people have definitely succeeded I would say, they got my attention. I don't even go to hardwarezone. If not for boh, I wouldn't have gone to reply there =P.
But attention they have got, they haven't got much respect, they make me sigh harder and heavier at how our next generation of youths and breadwinners are turning out.

Maybe the 'garmen' should do something, maybe we ourselves who are the next in line as educators of the next generation should step out ourselves and make a difference to society, possibly transforming this tragedy into a happy ending

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home