Friday, November 12, 2004

I'm in love...

Don't faint yet.. because I'm actually talking about Mayday =P. You're probably just gonna be reading mostly about Mayday in my blog, because that is what I am about, Mayday hahaha.
You see, I'm also lack of sleep now, so a little cranky.

The more I listen to this album the more gaga i become, erm.. let me correct myself, the more awestruck I become. Yes, thats it. Nothing makes my heart beat faster than listening to a new song by Mayday. Nothing makes me listen closer. It may be pleasing to my ears, it may be not. I have disliked a few songs by them before, I still skip these tracks when listening to them on my player but when its performed live, I still love it simply because its live! There, I contradicted myself! hahah... Hey, people won't go about saying that love is blind, if it wasn't true, won't they ;)

Their latest album, I don't think there is a single bad song in it. Of course, what is good or bad is purely based on persective. But now, I'm judging based on the point that nothing is bad because so much attention has been paid into details like the fantastic soundscape of sound effects, guitar, drums and orchestra which acts as a prelude to "Sun Wu Kong"; or the very cool hollow snare sound to simulate the sound of an engine starting in "Le Se Che"; or the use of chromatic chords to mark the intro of a song that would talk to us about a music legend "John Lennon", accented throughout by sizzling hats and a walking bass, giving it a very 60s rock and roll feel; or the humour of recording a metronome with a recorder, a trombone as a elephant kind of bass, with bells to create the song that is to be the name of their album "Shen De Hai Zi Dou Zai Tiao Wu".

Then there is "Wan An Di Qiu Ren" which is such a surprise, another intriguing soundscape of tribal chants and congo drums, paving way for pounding toms that I have to admit, in the beginning I thought was a timpani, real cool! And the best part of this, I am too in love with the way Ashin's voice sounds here which has improved tremendously after their 2 year hiatus (floating away~~).

Don't ask me why ;) must be the toms.... I have to add that this song is as a whole a very fantastic listening experience, excellent arrangment, lots of different instruments, even if a Chinese drum (at abt 1.50) if I'm not wrong, used and very appropriate sound effects like the sound of horses to accent climaxes. I'm gonna rave on about this song, because of its lyrics too.. its always been something I've been very concerned about and blogged about too - war, conflict and violence. These are my 2 favourite lines from the song:

大人 在冷氣房 作戰 小孩 在太陽下 逃難

多害怕 在未來 人類對一切習慣 拿起字典一頁頁的翻 始終找不到的字是不是愛

I'll just have to go aaaaaaaaaaaah as I listen through this album which is so full of surprises and such a pleasure to listen to because of its many nooks and crevices still left to be discovered each time I listen again. This is just why I love Mayday so much and I have fallen in love with them all over again. They haven't disappointed me so far, and right now, they haven't either, with their 5th album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home