Monday, November 08, 2004

Play on!

Listening to Mayday's album (mp3 though, coz i'm still waiting for my album to arrive from taiwan), through my very best investment so far, my Sony MDR 7506 headphones. And everything sounds so fantastic! Lucky for me, its all VBR mp3s, so I'm hearing what I'm still meant to hear, and I do hear Mayday's effort within it, especially all the super fantastic drum sounds that I'll never be able to get with the 2 broken drumsets and very sad studio setting in school. The very best that I can get would be what I got in my gorbachev recording, and that was really by pure luck, everything just sounded so good that day :).

I'm sticking to listening now through my headphones, so I can really hear what all the effort that Mayday has put in to getting the right sound for each song, the true bandsound and the warmness of all the recordings. I definitely hear it more than on my failing and ailing creative speakers. had suspected that it was the remote control was falling apart but seems that its the speakers coz my headphones plugged to the control doesn't have the same problem. I should love to get some real monitors soon then blast Mayday out loud on them. haha that will be the life. But happy with my little investment so far.

How I wish I could own a manual with all of Mayday's recording methods, song writing and band arrangment methods. How I wish... but which band would give away their secrets readily? How I wish too... that I could work there in the studio with them, to know what they do in order to get such sounds and what goes into discussions with regards to instrumentation. They aren't just great people, they are great musicians and also great engineers.

It is just no wonder that I love them so much. Gonna listen with greater scrutiny at this album that is just suddenly not the usual Mayday that I recognise. It seems that they are suddenly shouting out loud to everyone that they are a really a band which has got it all, that they do not depend on just one person to keep the band alive. It comes just when discussions of Ashin going solo have surfaced and many have began to take for granted that the sound of songs written by Ashin are the defining elements of how Mayday should sound. It is sure to make many wonder at a first listening if what they hear is really Mayday. It is bound to throw many off balance. It is truly experimental. It is truly the Mayday spirit of music making. And I love it!

Right now, I'm totally in love with all the different drum sounds in each song that I so wish to recreate.....

1 Comments:

At 10:22 am , Blogger Florence said...

haha, ya he is not called da gu lao for nothing you know. but like they said, only when he play drums :X

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home