Sunday, October 23, 2005

Vicious Cycle

Its the hot topic now.

I would so love to cut in to say how much I agree that music should be about appreciating music and not about milking money out of it.

But then think again, who are the ones controlling the industry? Who are the ones sitting at the top? They're businessmen.

And haven't we all learnt about how supply comes only with demand? Haven't we so often heard of this term, the 'music business'?

Things are produced in mass, simply because it can be sold in mass. The logic is simple... perhaps too cruel, to the producers of the music and to the true supporters of music.

The business is controlled by the market, the businessman merely manipulates it. Capitalism?

We can refuse to buy something, our whole country can refuse, but what's our place in the entire regional or international market?

I prefer to see it in a more positive light.

If you are a musician, selling your music means giving yourself a means to continue doing what you love. With everything, comes compromise. You win some, you lose some.

What did they get? They got their own private studio to work, sleep and talk music in 24hrs a day. It would only be in my dreams to have something like that.

I'll just have to say, that the businessman was too smart, working into the psyche of the musician.

If you could just spend your days engulfed in music, having someone else worry about whether you will make enough money for your daily living, would you take it too?

I would. It beats thinking of whether I'm giving enough time and effort into what I'll love to do and develop my dreams, against whether I'm doing the right job to give me the means to do what I love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home