Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Rox... rocks... pebbles?

Its been quite a while since I've blogged abt social phenomenons that always bugged me. And this one really really bugs me.

I wonder how it started too.. it just popped out of nowhere, somewhat like a new generation term that seems to have bastardized a once very cool and exclusive term. It is not just overused now... it is rottenly used.

I began noticing this on friendster, how many of the generation below my own (ok, i'm old.. I never denied it) loves to use the word 'rocks' and 'rox'. If its an attempt to be cool and to try to talk cool, I think its an awfully terrible one indeed. So much so, that each time i see this word being used, I begin to cringe and reminisce the times when 'rock' was used only very appropriately when it should be. To describe people who truly 'rocked' the era with their attitudes and styles or personalities.

But these days in Singapore, eveybody rox!!
or I would say.... rot

You may call me a linguistic conservatist but at least, use the correct tense and correct plurality!
I rocks
You rocks
They rocks
Everybody rocks
..................
(seems like only the last one sounds right)
But then, this is exactly how this term is being used.... everywhere. And I mean... everywhere.

As much as I hate the phrase 'no outside food allowed', the bastardized form of 'no food products purchased beyond these premises may be consumed', I really hate the way that 'rox' and 'rocks' are being used.

If Singaporeans want an identity, I don't think this is a very good one.

It makes me start to wonder if my own generation had bastardized anything...
Bastardized.. brilliant word haha.. thank you boh for adding this word to my vocabulary.

Truly, I fear what the next generation may churn out next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home