Thursday, March 08, 2007

Of dead poets and living minds

From time to time, I remember this movie that I loved ever since I first saw it in Secondary school.

The first time I saw it, it caught me and prompted me to borrow a tape (yes, those were the days when you could actually rent tapes) of the movie.

Then, I watched it not just once more, but a total of 4 times.

There is just no other movie that has influenced me that much
And no other movie that teaches us so much about life and how to think differently, in order to find our true selves within.

Here's why:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7GIVCmnUA&mode=related&search=

Sorry, the video doesn't allow me to embed.
But its worth watching... it just gave me goose bumps again. simply inspirational



my favourite scene for sure :)


I actually met a 'professor keating' in my own life.
He only taught me for 4 months, but it has been strong enough to constantly remind me of what I should do:
... to always look at things from a different perspective
... not to do things out of obligation if there are better things for you to do out there
... to always question what you see, what you read, and what others tell you (and not accept blindly or take others' opinions as the bible)

He doesn't know, but I secretly recorded his lectures haha. And I still keep them till now.

A few years ago, I read a book called "Tuesdays with Morrie".
It reminded me of professor keating and of my lecturer as well.
I read it cover to cover, non stop.

Carpe Diem, sieze the day!
We are humans, and we live because we have passion.
Because we have our own minds and only by discovering ourselves within, can we attain our full potential.

Rhetoric and theory is easy to speak about.
Putting it to practice is harder.

Nonetheless, a great movie like Dead Poet's Society never fails to get me going again and again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home