Monday, April 30, 2007

The most priceless taxi ride home

It was past 2am, I was tired, I looked like shit and I felt a little groggy... Finally I get to go home after a long day at work + a lot of walking + jamming....
but it didn't keep me from having the best conversation with a taxi driver.

I hopped onto a cab just outside our bright red building.
Out of curiosity, the driver asked if there were still other people working inside this building at this time, to which I answered yes. I was tired and wasn't ready to talk that much.

At this point, we passed by a field with many wooden cows planted into the ground - a sight many were familiar with, but some probably unaware of what it meant.

He asked me if I knew why there were so many of these cows around the island. Politely, I answered that it was done by a media company as a form of advertisement for themselves, and also a demonstration of what they could do for their clients.

Of course, I didn't explain it in such technical details yet until he told me his own perspective, of which made me realise that this driver is actually quite an analyst.

As we drove onto the expressway, he turned back to the topic on what I was doing at the big red building, so late into the night (or rather so early in the morning).

And just like what I always tell to strangers... "I do music".

This always puzzles them of course, but I prefer to be vague and then let the conversation drift off where possible.

I simply told him that we created music and sell cds in stores.

My tactic worked because he soon began the huge topic of music. On how he loved music, especially 80s english classics, and how he feels that a lot of work is put into creating a song.
I totally agreed with him and concluded saying how every industry and every profession is more difficult than it seemed to be. That something may look simple but there is a lot of knowledge that goes behind it.

So, having told him about myself (not much really hahah), he began to tell me about his philosophies about doing a business.

Firstly, as a taxi driver.

He emphasized on the importance of service. How he started out always getting complaints from passengers but then learnt from his mistakes.

Now, he understands what routes to take; how to read passengers differently in order to give them a comfortable ride - how fast he drives, how wide a turn he makes, how much he should talk... And that the greatest satisfaction comes from a passenger telling him that it was the most comfortable taxi ride he had ever taken.

I was impressed, and at that instant, I realised too that the ride so far had indeed been very smooth (unlike other nights when I was just as tired but almost wanting to puke from the shaky taxi rides home).

By this time, we were exiting the expressway into AMK.
He went on to his second story...

Of a time when he operated a western food stall for 6 years.
In this story, I'll call him the 'boss'

He took over the stall from a friend without thinking too much. And went on to hire a cook, while he would do the mangement of the business.

Nothing to strange about that, except that the cook would always try to get the boss away. And when the boss returns, he'll realise that all the ingredients have already been prepared.

It was obvious that the cook was trying to hide his trade secrets from his boss.

However, it made the boss realise that: if you don't know the trade that you are in, you are going to be bullied by others.

The boss knew that some day, the cook would play him out. His business could not depend on this one cook alone.. he had to learn the tricks of the trade himself.

Cleverly, he bought containers in which he put the salt and other seasoning and always filled them up fully. He would sit far away having breakfast, watching the cook from far preparing the ingredients for the day. And after the cook was done, the boss would quickly measure how much seasoning was used up for what amount of meat.

The boss also practiced preparing the ingredients and cooking whenever the cook was off. Through time, and feedback from customers, he learnt through lots of trial and error.

One day, the cook really did play out on the boss. With an excuse of a stomachache, he simply didn't turn up for a few days. If the business was dependent on this cook, the stall would have to close for those days as well. However, the boss was ready and he didn't hesitate to do the cooking himself.

When the cook finally called back, the boss confidently told him that he only needed to come in the evenings to do the cooking for the stall, and that his pay would be cut by 40%.

Shocked, the cook quickly asked his boss who would prepare the ingredients if he were only to be responsible for cooking at the stall, during the evenings. With the greatest confidence, the boss replied 'me'.

I felt like applauding him at that time. Totally impressed by his wit.
But what left a deep impression on me, was how he learnt that he ultimately had to depend on himself for his own business.

This was a taxi driver with a difference.

The first taxi driver that has made an impact on my life, because his story is definitely one that will help me in my own ventures in future.

Know your trade, know your own abilities and if you are lacking in it, then find ways to work harder on it.

The taxi finally came to a stop in front of the stairs leading up to my block.

I handed over the money to the driver, but he was still talking. Seemingly uneager to end the conversation. And I too, seemed to have forgetten my weariness...

I thanked him whole heartedly, and wish that someday I might hop onto his cab again.
Because it was not just a comfortable ride, but a very enlightening experience

One word, priceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home