Tuesday, October 26, 2004

A Taste for Thai

Guess some people must be wondering why I would have a link for Thai music in my blog. Its actually after my trip to Bangkok mid this year when I was watching TV and managed to catch a segment on Birdsek, made up of Bird Thongchai and Sek Loso. It covered an interview with them and showed a number of their concert clips. That made me stop in my tracks, or rather my fingers from channel surfing, for that moment. Because they really sounded fantastic!

I really didn't know much about Thai music then, nor would I even think its good. That is, until I heard them. It might take some others a little bit of getting used to when listening to the language but then again, if we can listen to Japanese, Korean, French that we may not understand, then why not Thai? Why hasn't Thai music been given much chance to expand outside of their country. Although this is with the exception of Palmy, also an excellent singer, who has recently come to Singapore for the Euphoria performance.

Give Thai music a chance, give a listen! That's what I really want to say. Some of them can be really good or even better than a lot of what we may be hearing over our local radio these days. And remove all previous conceptions of how Thai music sounds, as we have so often heard Thai singers trying to sing in Chinese.

There have been Thai songs adapted for Chinese pop music before, with examples from Palmy's "Yark Rong Dunk Dunk" resung by Xiao Xiao in "Ai Yao Tan Dang Dang" and also other examples before that I knew I heard of but never committed to memory because I myself was guilty of bypassing good music, simply because it was not something I was familiar with nor something everyone was listening to.

Some recommendations:
(You can hear these previews all at ethaimusic.com, although the may not be the best quality sound samples)

Palmy - any song, she's got lots there


Birdsek - quite a number of good songs. you can even click on the album pix to go to another page with more samples.


Armchair - bai duay gun reu blao
Seksun - jai hai bai


I'm still listening too, will continue to check out for good songs and make recommendations for other music, not just thai :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home